Exploring the Cotswolds Day 2

I had been told so many places that I HAD to see in the Cotswolds that there was no way I would get to all of them.

In the end, I concentrated on a couple of villages near each other: Stow-on-the-Wold,  Bourton-on-the-Water, and Upper and Lower Slaughter.

Stow-on-the-Wold is a quintessential Cotswold village, with a market square, a very old Church, and so many picturesque buildings. They no longer have a Visitor's Information, but the Library was able to provide me with 2 options for a walk around the town and beyond.St Edwards - a medieval church - is famous for one of its doors, which they has nicknamed the Hobbit door.


The walk led me down past some lovely old buildings, then out into a tree lined lane. Part of the route was along the Fosse Way - an old Roman road that extends much of the length of England. The route took me past farms, and Equestrian Centre and some beautiful manor houses.

Next stop was Boughton-on-the-Water. Actually, one of the walking options was from Stow-on-the-Wold to Boughton-on-the-Water, but it was easier to drive the few miles.
They have an excellent large parking area, for a minimal cost. I then set off the Slaughters - Lower and Upper along the Wardens Way. That's Beatrice, my travelling companion, checking the route.


Lower Slaughter is a huge tourist attraction - it was packed with people. It was actually the first time I felt surrounded by other tourists. It is very picturesque, with an old mill  and lovely old buildings either side of the stream.



I took the road up to Upper Slaughter - very peaceful after the crush of Lower Slaughter. 
I have no idea why this was in a field, but couldn't resist the photo.


I should have a separate post on 'uses for old phone boxes'. 

Then it was back along the Wardens way, through tp Bourton.  It is described as the Venice of the Cotswolds, with 7 bridges over the river along a lovely park. The phot has managed to avoid almost all the people.


I had to get back to return the car, so I didn't linger. I'm sure there was much more to see!





Comments

  1. The hobbit door is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're enjoying the Cotswolds We have friends in Evesham and have visited there many times 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And so it begins ...

Warwick Castle