Warwick Castle

 Next accomodation was in Banbury (of the Ride a Cock Horse fame) which was an ideal location for exploring the Cotswolds.

I dropped off my backpack at the hotel - the lady was very obliging because I was about 1.5 hours before official check-in and was directed to an attic room up 3 flights of stairs - the last being like a turret climb. She was very apologetic but I reassured her that I would be fine.

Then it was back to the train station for a short hop to Warwick to see the castle. I wasn't sure about it - it seemed very 'theme park' from the website, but I'm glad I went.

Here it is!



They have spent an absolute fortune creating really engaging displays. I knew bits and pieces about the family, but this really brought their Royal connections to life - check out the Duchesses's close relationship to Queen Victoria's son Prince of Wales.

Here's a sample of the rooms, including one which Trump would greatly envy! Remember to click on them to make the image larger.

Every stately home need some busts of Roman Emperors



This bedwrrom was a guest bedroom for Royalty. The Prince of Wales (Victoria's son), Diana, Charles (at different times) all slept there. The wainscoting was bought from another stately home and put into the bedroom!
How's this for a bed!


There was also a time-capsule display going back to about the 12th Century, which went through the ups and downs of being on the right or wrong side of history.

Outside, the gardens were extensive, and there were lots of family activities - which they had pushed on the website. The final show for the day was "The Falconer's Quest' a raptor display similar to Healesville but with about 10 different posts and 5 or more keepers. 

They breed endangered raptors from all over the world 

The Andean Condor went a little low - I was in the front row - and clipped the side of my face with his rather substantial wing!



The final part of the display had about 15-20 Harris Hawks all swooping around - except for one who has decided that it is easier to sit at the keeper's feet and get titbits that way.



They sometimes have trouble getting all the birds back 'home' - it's the last display, and the gates are closing, so the visitors have gone, but as I was leaving, having had a brief cheat to the main guy,  I heard them saying 'still 3 out there'. I wonder how long it takes!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And so it begins ...

Exploring the Cotswolds Day 2