Aberystwyth

 If any of you have seen the program Hinterland on the ABC, you will recognise Aberystwyth. It's midway up the Welsh Coast, and has been a popular seaside resort for a long time. It is also a University town, so there are lots of young people around.

My accomodation is right on the beach front, and my room on the second floor looks out to the ocean. Aberystwyth is famous for its sunsets, bu t the weather has not been conducive to sunsets. I've got 2 more nights, so I may be lucky.

The wind is ferocious!! And with an unseasonable cold front streaming down through Britain the temperature has been '8 feels like 2'  although as I type this it has reached the max of 11 and feels like 5. On the positive side, it has only rained when I have been safely tucked up - thanks weather god!!

Here's where I am staying:


and here's the promenade with the tide out


and the tide coming in


By late afternoon the incoming waves were splashing up on to the promenade, but apparently in wild weather they will cover the promenade and road and even splash up on to the buildings!

Speaking of buildings, there were so many gorgeous ones.


This one was the Police Station in Hinterland

Check out the balconies on this set



Each one was a different colour in this row.


I walked to the end of the promenade and on the inner side was a sheltered harbour


and some lovely seats - snakes? water serpents?


The old catle in on the point - mostly destroyed by Oliver Cromwell's men

It has a Gothic charm about it.


This would have been the kitchen hearth in the courtyard.


There was a stone circle - A Gorsedd circle created for an Eisteddfod in 1923.


Each of the stones has a name on it - apparently representing different parts of Wales. It is written in runes, and I can't read it!


The oldest part of the University is a magnificent building on the seafront, but it is all scaffolded because they are doing repairs to it, but I could see the tower from the castle hill.



Update: second night - all the storms have passed, it's still freezing but with clear skies, and ...










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And so it begins ...

Exploring the Cotswolds Day 2

Warwick Castle