Devil's Bridge
One of the most popular sights near Aberystwyth is the Devil's Bridge, or Pontarfynach (bridge on the Mynach) which also features in the first episode of Hinterland.
It is actually 3 bridges built on top of one another: the first dates back to possibly the 12th Century, and was apparently built by monks. The seonde bridge, with some fancy ironwork railings was built above it in 1753, and the final bridge was placed on top in 1901.
The popular tourist way to reach Devil's Bridge is by a narrow gauge train (think Puffing Billy) which winds its way up the mountain 3 times a day. I was planning to take a bus from Aberystwyth, (significantly cheaper!) but it is no longer running. So I forked out 35 pounds to take the Veil of Rheidol train. That was the economy - First Class was 57 pounds.
Despite the very cool weather, I sat in one of the open carriages - clearly everyone else though I was mad.
I had a better view, had billows of smoke coming past, adding to the experience, and I could see what the two drivers were doing as they stopped to add water, shovelled more coal in and changed the tracks.
Arriving at Devil's Bridge
There is a short walk on one side, which gives the best view of the bridge, and a longer waterfalls walk which takes you deep down into a gully, then back up in a loop path - lots of steps! It was supposed to be raining for the 2 hours that I would be there, but after a few drops, it all went away! The steps were wet though, from earlier rain, and I trod very carefully, holding on to the hand rail.
Here's the story about the name:
Here's one close up
At the bottom of the loop which is still on the ridge line, you have to descend a steep staicase calle Jacob's Ladder. I took it very slowly and din't stop to take photos!
The path then starts climbing back up, with viewing platforms along the way, to help people catch their breath.
There's a little 'cave' which was supposed to be a hideout for some locals who would rob people and stash the loot. I like the rock structure.
It's hard to imagine what it must be like in full torrent.
This was on the other side of the bridges, where you could get a decent photo of the bridges.
And finally, the building which also featured in Hinterland as a derelict building, previously an orphanage. It's now a very upmarket hotel - it was renovated after the filming.
And for the animal lovers - here's some good news.
Hi Bronny nice to meet you, hope your ongoing journey lives up to your expectations. Marilyn x
ReplyDelete