Dumfries - in Scotland and Robert Burns.
There were so many hours of planning involved in this trip, and the logistics of getting from one place to another were challenging at times.
I settled on Dumfries as a stepping-stone location between Llandudno and Mallaig - jumping off point to Skye.
I left enough time in the changeovers to allow for delays, finding the right platform etc.
What I realised the day before was that there are 2 stations at Llandudno (i knew that much), and the train was going from Llandudno Junction, so I need to catch a bus to the station first. This time my #5 wasn't the right one - I could have used it but I would have needed to walk a bit, but a second line Arriva would take me straight to the station.
Having arrived at Warrington Bay Quay, I accidentally caught an earlier train! Oops! I got off at the next station, and waited for the correct one.
My accomodation was a 5 minute walk from the station - a small, private hotel, with a friendly host. En route, I saw a sign saying Robert Burns House. Really? I has this vague idea that he had lived somewhere Edinburgh way. So, off I went in search of his house. Sure enough, Dumfries is very proud of their famous resident. The house was open, and contained some interesting artefacts.
There were pictures of Burns all over the house
And this was when he received th Poet Laureate
His wife Jean also has a statue
Burns was buried at the Cemetery, but later, re-interred in a marble mausoleum
The churchyard was fascinating - there was obviously huge wealth (again from West Indies money) and they like to write a lot on the tombstones!
Comments
Post a Comment