Exploring the Cotswolds Day 1
I stopped at Highworth to have some lunch - a lovely old market town. There was a Visitor Information Centre, and Ian not only told me where to have lunch (an omelette with some salad which was delicious)
but suggested that I should spend the afternoon at Coleshill, a short drive away.
The National Trust manages a substantial part of the village but entry was free. There are lots of options for walks around the village, the Heritage and Rural Skills Centre, and some of the farms. I opted for a short walk around the Heritage Centre and the village.
No - they are not real - they are made of chicken wire, just like my chook. I think I might have to ask Vicki Combridge if she will make me a rooster.Lots of beautiful buildings with plenty of wisteria
So many of the gardens were also
beautiful - of course it helps if you have ancient stone walls
Another mile further on is Badbury Hill, which is famous for its Bluebell wood. which should have been in full bloom. Alas - the weather has been odd (!) and they all bloomed early, leaving only a few still in flower.
Half a mile down a bridle path was the Great Coxwell Barn - a Grade 1 listed building, and a Scheduled National Monument. It was built about 1292 (they checked the date of the timbers)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Coxwell_Barn
Heading back I arrived at Lechlade and as I crossed the river, I stopped on a whim. Lechlade is the highest oint on the Thames which is navigable, and I did a short walk on the Thames path (which goes all the way to London). More narrow boats and a lovely bridge which was originally a toll bridge in the early 1800s. The Toll Gate house is still there.
More narrow boats
St John's Lock - the first lock on the Thames. There's a statue of Old Father Thames at the lock-keeper's house.
Comments
Post a Comment