Llandudno Day 2 Conwy walled town
Day 2 I was supposed to visit Conwy Castle, but when I went online to prebook the ticket I discovered that the castle was closed for 2 weeks (Caity looked it up - Filming a George R R Martin story Elden Ring which is a hugely popular video game.)
I did get some photos of the outer walls.
This is an amazing suspension bridge which leads to the Toll House and then to the Castle.
There was plenty to see, however, in the walled old town of Conwy.
Entry gate
A section of the ramparts of the town was still open
It would certainly discourage anyone from attempting to attack from that side!
The little red door below the tower is the 'smallest house in the UK'
These days, with tiny homes, it is really not that unusual, b ut the fisherman who live in it was 6'7"
Inside, upstairs. The hatch would go back down to provide extra flooring. And there weren't the glass walls!
The lady at the Information Centre suggest that I go to Plas Mawr, which is billed as 'the finest surviving Elizabethan manor house in Britain' (extended over several decades) which has been owned by the Moyston family since 1683 after a protracted will dispute form the previous family. It has been 'given' to the Welsh Heritage organisation Cadw on a 99 year lease, and they have done an extensive renovation, but al the original features were still there. I went to so many Cadw sites, I was beginning to think I should have taken out membership! The Moyston family were one of the largest landholding families in North Wales, and basically created the town of Llandudno.
Here's the website https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/places-to-visit/plas-mawr which shows a few of the rooms.
There was so much to see that I think I spent more than 2 hours in there! The audio tour came with entry and was really good. There were also some volunteers in various rooms who were happy to answer questions (why does her coat of arms have 3 severed heads?, why are there animals in the ceiling frieze?)
Answers:
The three severed heads from one of Dorothy's ancestors, Ednyfed Fychan, a prominent medieval steward to Llywelyn the Great. According to legend, he killed three English captains in battle, leading him to display three severed English heads on his shield.
The original owners Robert Wynn and Dorothy Griffith both claimed ancestry to several Welsh kings and important families, and the friezes represent these connections.
Here's more information if you are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wynn_(MP)
A small sample of my collection of pics below:
The magnificent panel above the fireplace
The strange women are a local plasterer's rendition of the Greek Caryatids which Robert had seen in Greece on the Erechtheion on the Acropolis.
They were all over the hall!
a high chair
Game hanging in the cool room
Dorothy's Coat of ArmsRobert's Coat of arms
Part of the ceiling
More plaster work
In the attics there was the most amazing roof structure.
The theory is that it was the roof for the upper hall, then a plaster ceiling was placed below it.
So the servants got to enjoy it!
One final thing from my time in Conwy. I picked up some lunch and the king retail worker pointe out that a combination of wrap, cake and drink
was cheaper than just the wrap!
I still don't understand!
Comments
Post a Comment