Oxford Museums
I visited the Science Museum one my first day. I love all the instruments and I was particularly taken by a 1600s Conic Section but of course the most famous exhibit it a blackboard with Einstein's writing still on it!
My second day was mostly spent in the Ashmolean Museum. So much to see! It was very easy to get lost in the maze of rooms, even with a map. A couple of highlights: they make lots of plaster casts of famous statues (many of my favourite Greek and Roman ones), and they have started experimenting with doing some in the 'original' colours. The first time I saw this done was with a model of the Parthenon in a museum in Vienna. Here, they have the 2 versions side by side.
Rome would have been a riot of colour!
There have been lots of Hoards found in fields of Roman coins, Viking silver etc but this one os so extraordinary.
















Comments
Post a Comment