The Pembroke Coastal Path is a 300 km walk broken into a number of sections.
Lots of people do the whole stretch, and I met some of them yesterday.
I only had time to do one day's walk, and the start and end had to be accessible by bus from Pembroke. I spent lots of time trying to work out the best option, then changed it the night before when I relaised that I could fit an extra leg in.
So I had an amazing day yesterday (and finished the day just under 30kms of walking) enjoying the Pembroke coast.
The weather was lovely - i was expecting cold winds like the previous afternoon, but it was mostly calm and sunny.
The clouds came over while I was exploring Manorbier castle, but cleared again as I completed the second leg.
Here are some views from the walk.
The bus dropped me about 30 minutes north of the coast, and I fueled myself for a lovely walk down a country lane.
The Coastal path is well marked with the acorn sign
I started at Freshwater East - the other end of this lovely bay.
I had to make sure I kept turning around for some of the best views.
Lots of coves, beaches and headlands
You can see the path winding away ahead of me .
Plenty of wildflowers along the coast but no trees.
They kept warning about steep drops.
The walk is actually on the Bristol Sound, but at one stage you can look out to the Atlantic ocean
The midway point was Manrobier, where there is a lovely old castle and Norman Church
They even had a dress-ups room. A couple were having a great time and they kindly took one of me.
The castle was used in the filming of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
The Church offered free tea and coffee (I put in a donation) and I sat there with another couple who were having lunch, and enjoyed some Hummingbird cake from the Castle cafe
Onwards: Lots of spots where there was a gap - some big and some small like this one
Look at the colour of the sea!
There were gates along the way, and one genuine stile.
This was near the airforce base which the path goes around. I heard one jet zooming off and two rockets were fired at different times, causing me to jump!
This is called the Church window and there are lots of steps to get down there!
This is the start of the descent
And as I got close to Lydstep there was this set of 200 steps to climb.
Lydstep is a very popular beach town with hundreds of cabins in a massive caravan park.
I walked the whole way through it then realised that I should have turned up a pth to get to the main road and bus stop.
Fortunately I had enough time to backtrack.
The bus stop was next to The Tavern, so I treated myself to a G&T while I waited for the bus.
Check out how fancy the glass is!
The bus arrived, slowed down by a man driving a horse and cart!
Another wonderful day, just loving the views and your commentary
ReplyDeleteThis Pembroke walk looks fantastic! And I'm claiming the credit for U3A, particularly Our Bushwalk Pete, for having the legs to do this!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful
ReplyDelete