Pembroke
So some days, things don't go quite to plan...
Next stop was Pembroke, about a 3 hour train trip form Cardiff. Unfortunately, the toilet wasn't working on the train, and despite attempts to fix it, they decided that we would swap trains about half way along. Then, about 20 mins after setting off again, an announcement was made that the train would have to return to the previous station because another train needed to come though on the single line section. We ended up arriving in Pembroke an hour late. Apparently I can get a full refund on my ticket, if I can cope with creating an account with the train company, send all the details etc.
I wasn't able to access my accomodation until 6:30pm, so I had booked a luggage storage. It was a 20 minute walk in the wrong direction but at least it meant that I could dump my big pack and visit the Castle. Unfortunately, the self-service storage didn't recognise either the code or the QR code, and when I sought help, they sent me another QR but a smaller locker opened - no way was my pack going to fit.
Things fell back into place when I arrived at the castle and asked if there was anywhere I could leave my pack. No problems, they said, we have a lockable trunk to put it in. Yay!
The castle had free tours on the hour, and I had just missed the start of one so I wandered around some sections first. It was well organised, with an introductory video and lots of information boards. They also had Characters like the Steward, Priest, Lady in Waiting, with a QR code leading to a short story about what the character did. It has been interesting looking at the variety of ways the different castles present their information.
As I said, there are so many castles in Wales. They had a map on the ground showing all of the major ones, but these two pictures show just how many there are.
The castle was never conquered by force; The gatehouse has two separate sections and three portcullises.
The castle has a large lake/river on one side.
Close to the Castle is the Mill Pond. The walk along is very popular with dog walkers. I picked up some very nice fish and chips and sat on a bench overlooking the pond, watching the swans.
Loving your travels Bronwyn
ReplyDelete