Back in Aberdeen

When I returned (by ferry overnight)  my accomodation was in the Old Aberdeen, just near the University.

It's a simple 10 minute bus ride between the new and old - with the option of 3 different buses!

For those who want to follow on Google maps, I wandered through the University area, including the Kings College Chapel, the Powis Gates, the Cruikshank Botanic Gardens (part of the Botany Department), St Machar's Cathedral, Seaton Park, Brig o'Balgownie, then along the coastal path back to the New town where I had left my backpack.

This is the Powis Gates


and the disclaimer on the gates


with a detailed information board - here's part of it


The Cathedral was very splendid, of course, but what caught my fancy were the choir stalls, where students had carefully carved their names. If you look carefully on the first one you can see the lines inscribed to make sure it was straight.


Thomas Molyson had his name on at least 3 different backs!


The Botanic gardens were lovely, with lots of flowers and some very old trees.

Check out this peony! It was the fist one - there were lots of buds.




Seaton Park had beautiful azealas in full bloom



and a great collection of animal sculptures




I walked through the gardens, along to Brig o'Balgownie, not knowing what it was.

It's actually a very old bridge, with some gorgeous houses either side of the river. It's the sort of place where, if a property comes up for sale, it will be immediately snapped up.

It was very hard to photograph the bridge! After some careful stepping down near the river, I achieved this. It's the oldest standing bridge in Scotland, dating back to the 13th Century.

The history of it is somewhat contested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brig_o%27_Balgownie


Here's a 'view of the little village and a fully renovated'  cottage for sale:


I then headed back and around to the coastal path to head back to collect my luggage.

There are some sculptures called Window to the Sea.


If you look carefully, you will see that this one perfectly frames ...


the wind turbines!

There are some shelters along the path that came in very handy when the waether changed and it started to rain.


heavily! (but I stayed dry) You can see the water pouring out from the drain from the road above the boardwalk.


It was still quite wet, so I dropped into the Science Museum - so much fun! Playing with various machines. 

Then collect luggage, bus and off to accomodation.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And so it begins ...

Exploring the Cotswolds Day 2

Warwick Castle