Skye Day 3
My final day on Skye started with me leaving Skye, trvelling across the bridge to see the famous castle Eilean Donan, built on a small island in the 13th Century. Apparently it is the most photographed castle in Scotland.
And the bridge
Back over to Skye and I headed north and west this time, to the most westerly point, the Neith lighthouse.
The coast reminded me a bit of the 3 Capes walk in Tassie.
Including a high cliff where they were abseiling down.
It was very windy, of course, and there is no way you would get me on to the top, let alone go off the edge! If you expand the photo, you may be able to see 2 tiny figures. The lunatic and the enabler.
The lighthouse itself was quite disappointing - it was closed down some time ago, and was fneced off and quite dilapidated.
This was about the best view I could get.
It did convey the wildness of the coast though, and in those days it would have been very isolated.
This was used to haul the supply boat up on to dry land
and there was a cable to either take stuff up the cliff or down - not sure.
Still, I got lots of exercise going down stairs, up stairs, then coming back again.
Back the same way, to head to the Fairy Pools - yes, another 'Fairy' site.
This is one of 'the' sites to see, along a very long one-track (with bypass) road, requiring a great deal of patience. The site itself is fee but they slug you for the parking, and it is was very busy!
This site summed up my feelings https://scotlandfarandnear.co.uk/en/FairyPools
I had seen photos on the web - suffice to say what you are about to see is nothing like them.
Firstly, it wasn't sunny, the heather wasn't out, and being spring, the water flow wasn't huge.
So it was a 45 minute (each way) up along a river/stream which cascaded into a series of 'pools' via little waterfalls. Here's a small selection.
I think my waterfalls walk in Wales was much more spectacular.
Bonus; A random delight along the road, but weirdly Oronsay is actually an island off the coast of Skye. There is a company Skye chickens based there though.
How cute is he!!
And there was a caravan that had been converted into chook accomodation further down the road - unfortunately there wasn't anywhere to park to take a photo.
I had to return my car to Armadale, then wait for a bus to take me back. While I was waiting, I discovered a lovely little nature walk on the the side of the road which went along to Armadale Castle grounds
I started along the coast then headed up and along the woodland path
Comments
Post a Comment