St Magnus Way

 The section I chose of St Magnus Way promised a walk by a loch and a walk through a wooded forest (unusual because Orkney is famous for not having trees - they actually do have quite a few.)

Having caught the bus to the start of this leg, I struggled to find where it set off from! The signs are quite small, and you have to look carefully


Here's the details of the route






Most of the walk was on small lanes and was actually very pleasant. Orkney is very flat so it wasn't strenuous, and although there was a bit of misty rain for part of it, the weather was a good walking temperature .

This sign was easier to spot!


I'd seen these poppies as we travelled the previous day - they grow wild on the road verges and they are huge! It's hard to tell but they are as big than a bread and butter plate.


Here's the promised 'along the loch' section


I encountered this herd of goats, and was quite nervous. As I sidled past them, they charged past to get away from me


Some of the sheep have very strange markings



These cows were very curious and followed along the fence line as I walked by.


And here's the wooded glade


The section ended at a little town, Finstown and just beyond it was Cuween Hill Chambered Cairn 

Here's the outside


It was very dark inside and low - I had to crawl in, so the inside photos aren't any good.

From the website: 

"Discover a 5,000-year-old Neolithic tomb where bones of humans, dogs and oxen were found buried.

Cuween Hill Chambered Cairn illustrates the sophistication of life among Scotland’s earliest agricultural communities. It’s a fine example of Neolithic architectural design, with evidence of complex burial rites. 

The cairn attests to a belief in an afterlife 5,000 years ago, and in its evocative gloom it’s easy to conjure up images of burial rites and rituals taking place. "








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And so it begins ...

Exploring the Cotswolds Day 2

Warwick Castle